[gnome-db] Re: GRAND MASTER PLAN

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:55:29AM -0500, Jody Goldberg was heard to remark:
> > Speaking of which, is there an example of how a programmer (in C or
> > scheme) can create a gnumeric spreadshhet & put data into it?  I'm
> > not sure I've ever seen such a thing.
>
> Depends on what you're trying to do.  Simple export is problably
> best done by generating the xml directly.  No need to link to
> gnumeric at all.  Alternatively there are things like
> pworkbook, or jworkbook to provide a comfier api via python or java

:-(

Well, that's been the topic of this thread, and from that vantage,
generating xml is inadquate.  Same reasons, previously covered,
that I don't want to generate abiword xml to get an abiword report.
Been there done that (actually that's how gnucash currently works,
it generates html, not xml, it uses gtkhtml not gnumeric for layout,
although adequate, it most definitely is *not* the cat's pajamas.)

Practically speaking, gnucash is in C and scheme, and ever-so-barely
and inadequately perl.   I have a personal aversion to java.  Once
burnt twice shy.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>