[gnome-db] Re: GRAND MASTER PLAN

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 14:25, Dru wrote:
> I'm thinking about the libgda providers for sql databases. At the moment
> libgda has everything in it, i think it should be cut up into smaller
> more managable peices.
> Heres an example directory layout as follows (assuming every directory
> generated a single library):
> libgda_providers -> where you have all the providers.
> libgda_dbabs -> common database abstraction layer to talk to providers.
> libgda_tools -> All the useful tools you have for libgda and supporting
> code.
> libgda_xml -> all the xml stuff
> libgda_meagrant -> the object abstraction layer. (GdaDataModel)
> libgda -> a library that contains all other libraries to maintain
> backwarsd compitability and the overall api.
>
> My code could link to the libgda_dbabs and libgda_providers initially.
> Reports would properly link to all of libgda.

Um, why not just link against libgda?  The API exposes all the
functionality so why does it need to be broken out into separate
libraries?  What is there to gain, other than administrative overhead,
from having everthing split out like that?

>From what I can see, Rodrigo has no problems managing libgda.  We should
stick to things that help GO progress, which the above does not do.

> libgda_meagrant -> the object abstraction layer. (GdaDataModel)

Doesn't libmergeant already exist?
--
- Charlie

Charles Goodwin <charlie xwt org>