Re: [gnome-db] Re: libgda .... Re: GnuCash page on GO site

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 11:37 -0600, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 05:25:08PM +0000, Charles Goodwin was heard to remark:
> > That was all I wanted to say: thank you!
>
> You're welcome.
>
> Note Andrew Hill is another person who is experienced with this stuff.
> A lot of what I developed is in parallel to what he is working on,
> and that is mostly due to historical accident.  I wish I'd worked
> with him more closely.  He has struggled with many of the same
> gtk/html to sql issues and understands the mechanisms used to
> resolve them.  If libgda is to work, it needs to address his
> criticisms as well.

of course they'd be taken into account, nobody denied that.

And, as you say even yourself, there are too many specific solutions
around, each tailored to and developed by a different set of people.
What I'm trying to come up with all this is to find out a common
framework that works for everybody.

So, as I said, libgda provides the basic data access and management
features (open database, get list of tables, procedures, types, etc, get
data and manage it), along with some utility features.

Then, on top of that, which solves the data access to many different
data sources, all sort of stuff can be built. Ideally, that sort of
stuff could be as generic and powerful as possible to be distributed as
one of the GNOME Office supported libraries.