[gnome-db] Re: plans for GtkGrid

Lorenzo Gil Sanchez <lgs sicem biz> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've been talking with Federico and he told me that there are plans to
> include my GtkGrid [1] widget in GTK+ 2.6. He explained me about the API
> deadlines, the documentation issues and stuff like that.
>
> He also told me that it would be great if some app in the core desktop
> uses the Grid to test its stability and usefulness. I don't know exactly
> what apps form the core desktop and but I suspect they are the ones
> listed in [2]. I don't know which one of these apps would need a widget
> like the Grid. I think Mergeant (from gnome-db) really needs a Grid but
> I doubt gnome-db is in the core desktop.

Hi Lorenzo,

I think we would really like to see something like GtkGrid in GTK+.
However, before you start getting applications to use it, it would be
really useful for you to write up a design document and mail it to
gtk-devel-list.  I think that figuring out what a GtkGrid is and is not
would be really valuable before you get too much further.  A couple of
GTK+ hackers have looked into writing this type of widget in the past,
and have some insights into the problem.  Here are some random examples
of this:

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2000-July/msg00016.html
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2003-March/msg00324.html
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2003-March/msg00332.html