Re: [gnome-db] getting mergeant to 1.0

> > > If people can comment on this app, or any other with good UIs, please do
> > > it. I would like to start working on all this (or whatever comes up)
> > > ASAP, so please, comment quick, so that we can take advantage of the 6
> > > months cycle.
> Well if you really look for some example of a good UI, I think a look at
> T.O.A.D is the best way to do so. It's a developer tool designed for
> Oracle databases and enjoys huge success in professional companies. Our
> company for instance is flogging out some serious money for it every
> year and having such a tool for Gtk+ Environments with the added bonus
> of access to other databases could prove quite a rewarding step.

We find the schema explorer in DbVisualizer
(http://www.dbvis.com/products/dbvis/) to be extremely useful.
DbVisualizer is a Java application,  all our QC people here have become
devoted fans.

> > An extension on this idea would be an ncurses based User Interface, a
> > text-mode Mergeant as it were. If there is any interest in this I could be
> > tempted to satisfy my masochistic urges and have a go at it.. (Could be quite
> > useful for remote management of libgda systems?)
> not quite sure on that one, it would be a considerable pain to implement
> some usefull way to display for instance a db-table or result set and
> I'm not sure if the demand would really make it worth the pain you're
> about to suffer from ;-)

Informix dbaccess/isql provides a nice ncurses interface to their
database.  But I don't know if it would be worth the trouble.

I think a straight forward command line interface is imperative.  Like
the isql and odbcinst tools provided by unixODBC.