Re: [gnome-db] getting mergeant to 1.0

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 02:55, Chris Silles wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2003 00:32, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > If people can comment on this app, or any other with good UIs, please do
> > it. I would like to start working on all this (or whatever comes up)
> > ASAP, so please, comment quick, so that we can take advantage of the 6
> > months cycle.
>
> As of yet I haven't been able to check out Mergeant since my machines don't
> seem to want to cooperate with Gnome, however Danilo has brought the concept
> of other UI's to my attention before and this seems like a suitable time and
> place to contribute them.
>
> I think we could benefit from a command-line 'monitor' program (similar to
> those supplied with most db backends).. While this wouldn't be too
> complicated to create, it would require absolute conformity from all
> providers (with respect to handling of NON-SELECT queries and similar
> inconsistencies - which hopefully will be eradicated in the near future).

yes, right

> An extension on this idea would be an ncurses based User Interface, a
> text-mode Mergeant as it were. If there is any interest in this I could be
> tempted to satisfy my masochistic urges and have a go at it.. (Could be quite
> useful for remote management of libgda systems?)

we already have the gda-config-tool, which is planned to contain access
to most features in a command-line interface. I dont think we need to
create an ncurses UI. Just a command line app, like we already have, is
enough. Specially because we dont have many developers, and I'd much
prefer to concentrate on a GNOME UI rather than on a ncurses one.

Of course, if you want to do it, I wont stop you :-) But I'd prefer if
you just extended gda-config-tool, without using ncurses.

> Maybe I'm pulling in a different direction Rodrigo on this one (i.e looking at
> simple basic UI's instead of fancy OSX style tree thingys), but maybe we
> could benefit from them? Reactions?

yes, definitely we can benefit from having a good command line utility,
so that when you install libgda, you dont need to install libgnomedb at
all to have access to most features. Also, as you said, it would be
really nice for remote administration.

But yes, the focus right now is to have a cool GNOME UI, so that we can
add mergeant ASAP to GNOME Office.