Re: [gnome-db] getting mergeant to 1.0

On Thursday 18 September 2003 06:21, Danilo Schoeneberg wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 02:55, Chris Silles wrote:
> > An extension on this idea would be an ncurses based User Interface, a
> > text-mode Mergeant as it were. If there is any interest in this I could
> > be tempted to satisfy my masochistic urges and have a go at it.. (Could
> > be quite useful for remote management of libgda systems?)
>
> not quite sure on that one, it would be a considerable pain to implement
> some usefull way to display for instance a db-table or result set and
> I'm not sure if the demand would really make it worth the pain you're
> about to suffer from ;-)

Well, I for one would certainly like to at least attempt it. There's something
fairly unwieldy about a commandline if you're not entirely familiar with the
commands, so I think an appropriate user interface shouldn't require it's
users to learn reams of commands.

> > Maybe I'm pulling in a different direction Rodrigo on this one (i.e
> > looking at simple basic UI's instead of fancy OSX style tree thingys),
> > but maybe we could benefit from them? Reactions?
>
> Long live the command line. In the case of a simple commandline client
> and maybe an import/export tool (á la sqlloader or mysqldump) I couldn't
> agree more. Admins are a pragmatic breed and they aint gonna start up a
> big gnome app to test some queries, so a set of nifty little comandline
> tools is definitely needed.

If we're aiming at the standard sysadmin then it needs to work via a single
command, so it can be crontabed ;o)

> > Cheers - Chris
>
> Cheers - Danilo
>

> Ps: off-record question, is that "Cheers" sorta becoming standard around
> here ? ;-)

No.
Cheers - Chris ;-)