RE: [gnome-db] provider independent programming.

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 14:02 +1000, Bas Driessen wrote:
> > > I recently started to work with libgda and have some
> > questions. Is there
> > > anyway to program provider independent already using libgda 0.99.0?
> > > When using SQL with different databases, there are always small
> > > differences. My understanding is that to overcome that, XML Queries
> > > are (or will be ??) introduced. I get the impression that
> > XML Queries
> > > are not finished yet. Is that correct? Does anyone know the
> > status of
> > > that project?
> > >
> > they are finished, but they are not supported by providers.
> > That is, you
> > can build XML queries on the fly, from code, but if you send that
> > command to the providers, none of them will understand the command :-(
> >
> > We should make this one of the priorities for post-1.0.
>
> OK, Thanks. Do you have a small example to get me started of how to generate
> an XML Query from code? For instance "SELECT * FROM members;" How can I
> generate a matching XML Query out of this statement?

there is a test program in libgda/libgda, AFAIR. If not, it should be in
some CVS branch.

> > > Regarding GDA Report Engine. Unfortunatly, I did not get
> > any response
> > > regarding my previous questions about the status of this? I realize
> > > you all are very busy to get libgda 1 out of the door, but would
> > > appreciate a response. Is the report engine at a stage that I can
> > > start using it? Is/will there be some sort of report painter?  Any
> > > info will appreciated.
> > >
> > the basic report file management functions should work. But
> > there is no
> > UI yet, nor any test program to test them. IF you are brave
> > enough, you
> > can start poking at the code, making a test program, and maybe you can
> > easily get it to work.
>
> Thanks for explanation. After I get "basic" libgda connections going, I will
> have a look at this report code and will try to get something working. If
> there is anyone out here on the list who has some experience/test material
> regarding GDA Reports (or just advice/tips), would appreciate if you can
> share that information.

I think there is also a test program in report/libgda-report.

>  Regarding the UI. Do you have any ideas how/what it
> will look like? Are there any ideas about this? (Glade like approach ?) Let
> me know if I can help with this (sub) project.

I am not sure, and since we have never came out with the basic
implementation being fully finished, not much thought has been given.

We were talking on integrating papyrus (papyrus.treshna.com) into
libgda/libgnomedb, and provide a nice UI for running and designing the
reports.

I'm myself not sure exactly yet how to do everything, since I haven't
had much time to look into it. So, please, if you could see what is
implemented in libgda-report, what in papyrus, and your thoughts on the
UI, we could have all that for starting the discussion on the
implementation.