[gnome-db] provider independent programming.

Title: Message
Hello,

I recently start to work with libgda and have some questions. Is there anyway to program provider independent already using libgda 0.99.0? When using SQL with different databases, there are always small differences. My understanding is that to overcome that, XML Queries are (or will be ??) introduced. I get the impression that XML Queries are not finished yet. Is that correct? Does anyone know the status of that project?

So what is the best way to overcome differences now?  Just a simple create table statement for instance:

CREATE TABLE test1 (name VARCHAR(10));

MySQL for instance uses VARCHAR, so that's fine. In Oracle they call it VARCHAR2 . What is called SERIAL in one database may be called NUMBER or INTEGER in another.  Will XML Queries solve these types of problems for me? What is the best way to deal with this at this stage?

Regarding GDA Report Engine. Unfortunatly, I did not get any response regarding my previous questions about the status of this? I realize you all are very busy to get libgda 1 out of the door, but would appreciate a response. Is the report engine at a stage that I can start using it? Is/will there be some sort of report painter?  Any info will appreciated.

Thanks,
Bas.