Re: [gnome-db] mergeant help

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 03:01, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 01:59, Jack Coates wrote:

> > > ugh, what version are you running? That's very old!
> > >
> > > cheers
> >
> > yeah, seems that the Mandrake RPMs are out of step; mergeant was 0.12,
> >
> that one is ok, probably would be better to install 0.12.1
>
> > gda is 0.91,
> >
> that one is also ok, although, again, would be better to install 1.0.0
> or 1.0.1, which is the latest release.
>
> >  libgda is .96...
> >
> that one is the really old one, so please remove it.
>
> >  I've urpme'd the whole lot and downloaded
> > the libgda 1.0.1 tarball, which is compiling right now.
> >
> yes, better.
>
> > gda-test is a lot different now... seems to be happy, but doesn't offer
> > an opportunity to, well, test the pg connection. I take it that's done
> > somewhere else now?
> >
> you need to first create a data source for your postgres connection (run
> gnome-database-properties for this), and then run gda-test again.
>
> > compiling libgnome-db now...
> >
> > okay, so now there's a control center capplet where I can configure
> > databases, but no mergeant. It's referenced all over
> > http://www.gnome-db.org/, except the download page :-) Google can't find
> > it either, searching for mergeant source tarball download.
> >
> install the mergeant 0.12.1 RPM.

okay system is now like so:
libgda 1.0.1 is in /usr/local
libgnome-db 1.0.1 is in /usr/local
the .so's are symlinked into /usr/lib
mergeant-0.12.1-2mdk is installed

mergeant runs, connect brings up the right connectoid, but then nothing
happens.

Data source properties:
Provider PostgreSQL
Connection string: DSN=DATABASE=lmdatabase;HOST=127.0.0.1;PORT=5432
descrip, username, password all ok.

> > gda-test is spitting this out to stderr:
> > ** (gda-test:18433): CRITICAL **: file gda-util.c: line 202
> > (gda_file_save): assertion `filename != NULL' failed
> >
> > ** (gda-test:18433): CRITICAL **: file gda-util.c: line 202
> > (gda_file_save): assertion `filename != NULL' failed
> >
> > ** (gda-test:18433): CRITICAL **: file gda-util.c: line 202
> > (gda_file_save): assertion `filename != NULL' failed
> >
> that's normal, it's the default data source, so dont worry
>
> > and says it can't connect:
> > Data source = postgres-lmdatabase, User = lmuser
> > ** ERROR: could not open connection to postgres-lmdatabase
> >
> hmm, can you try connecting via the control center applet?

not sure how you mean; clicking the tables tab in the data source
properties? It asks for username and password, then just displays an
empty tables tab.

> > Looks like it's trying to use local IP instead of Unix domain sockets,
> > anywhere to change that?
> >
> what parameters did you set for the postgres connection? What connection
> string?

see above,

> cheers

thanks for taking the time,
--
Jack Coates, Lyris Technologies Applications Engineer
510-549-4350 x148, jack lyris com