Re: [gnome-db] mergeant help

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 01:59, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 15:20, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 23:37, Jack Coates wrote:
> > > I'm trying to use mergeant on Mandrake cooker (guess it's 9.2 as of
> > > today) and having trouble. I've installed gda-postgres, but there's no
> > > providers of any sort in the drop-down: clicking the dropdown
> > > consistently produces this error on standard out:
> > >
> > > (mergeant:26468): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file ../../gtk/gtkmenu.c: line 865
> > > (gtk_menu_popup): assertion `GTK_IS_MENU (menu)' failed
> > >
> > > gda-test does see the provider and the ODBC provider, but can't connect
> > > to the PG database on localhost; I can connect fine with psql though.
> > >
> > > The following 2 GDA providers are available:
> > > 1: OAFIID:GNOME_GDA_Provider_Default_Connection
> > > 2: OAFIID:GNOME_GDA_Provider_Postgres_Connection
> > >
> > ugh, what version are you running? That's very old!
> >
> > cheers
>
> yeah, seems that the Mandrake RPMs are out of step; mergeant was 0.12,

that one is ok, probably would be better to install 0.12.1

> gda is 0.91,

that one is also ok, although, again, would be better to install 1.0.0
or 1.0.1, which is the latest release.

>  libgda is .96...

that one is the really old one, so please remove it.

>  I've urpme'd the whole lot and downloaded
> the libgda 1.0.1 tarball, which is compiling right now.

yes, better.

> gda-test is a lot different now... seems to be happy, but doesn't offer
> an opportunity to, well, test the pg connection. I take it that's done
> somewhere else now?

you need to first create a data source for your postgres connection (run
gnome-database-properties for this), and then run gda-test again.

> compiling libgnome-db now...
>
> okay, so now there's a control center capplet where I can configure
> databases, but no mergeant. It's referenced all over
> http://www.gnome-db.org/, except the download page :-) Google can't find
> it either, searching for mergeant source tarball download.

install the mergeant 0.12.1 RPM.

> gda-test is spitting this out to stderr:
> ** (gda-test:18433): CRITICAL **: file gda-util.c: line 202
> (gda_file_save): assertion `filename != NULL' failed
>
> ** (gda-test:18433): CRITICAL **: file gda-util.c: line 202
> (gda_file_save): assertion `filename != NULL' failed
>
> ** (gda-test:18433): CRITICAL **: file gda-util.c: line 202
> (gda_file_save): assertion `filename != NULL' failed

that's normal, it's the default data source, so dont worry

> and says it can't connect:
> Data source = postgres-lmdatabase, User = lmuser
> ** ERROR: could not open connection to postgres-lmdatabase

hmm, can you try connecting via the control center applet?

> Looks like it's trying to use local IP instead of Unix domain sockets,
> anywhere to change that?

what parameters did you set for the postgres connection? What connection
string?