Re: [gnome-db] OleDB

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 12:46, C.J. Collier wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 09:38, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> > Le Lundi 12 Mai 2003 18:13, Rodrigo Moya a écrit :
> > > Apart from that, there's nothing we can gain from them looking at the
> > > code, since we can't do the same with theirs.
> >
> > During a discussion, MS ***may*** learn more about GnomeDb and discover its
> > exact scope, i.e. discover what has not yet been implemented and "patent" the
> > underlying ideas. Also, they ***may*** "patent" your ideas before you program
> > them.
> >

> > IMHO, the best is to stay away from MS.
>
> I think you're mistaken.  I feel that we should befriend the company and
> the employees of the company.  We could both learn much from eachother.
>
> > Cheers, Jean-Michel
>
> C.J.

The problem I see pervading this discussion is that MS won't look at
libgda or other technologies unless they are invited to do so.  The
software is out there with full source, if they have any desire, they
can look at it, poke it, put it through it's paces at their own free
will.  If there are ideas they want to patent, they can do so at any
time.  Opening discussions with them can certainly elevate their
awareness of the project, I'm not so sure there are major new
innovations with libgda that they don't have some form of equivalent
with their myriad of DB technologies (ADO, MDAC, DAO, OLEDB, etc.)
--
David T Hollis <dhollis davehollis com>