Re: [gnome-db] New project

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 14:15, dj starfire-programming net wrote:

> > > Wonderful!  I'm not too busy to get my hands dirty.  I've always enjoyed
> > > writing glib code.  As I get more comfortable, I'll jump in and start
> > > hacking a bit on libgda.
> >
> > cool!
>
> What kind of events are we talking about? I'm nearly finished with the mSQL
> provider, so it might be worth the attempt to build a rough skeleton for the
> event notifier.

there is a gda_client_notify_event call in gda-client.h. Providers can
use it to notify any event (GdaClientEvent enum, which, as I said, is
missing a lot of events) to all attached clients.

You just have to add code to notify those events to your provider.

> > >   What if I were to write a wrapper DBMS engine that handled SQL
> > > queries around data sources like CSV and XML files: things that don't
> > > have native DBMSs.
> >
> > you can do it, as we've got, not fully completed, a LDAP provider, a
> > XML-based provider, etc
>
> Hm, sounds like an interesting idea, altho some sort of "sub-gda" would
> probably save a lot of work, like a meta-provider that "emulates" a DBMS and
> just calls plugins that take care of the file-i/o into XML files, CSV files
> or some other sort of interchange formats

this is a very good idea.

>  ( STEP anyone? ;) ). I don't know
> about the availability, but maybe a little peep into a CSV ODBC driver might
> help, i think unixODBC has one, don't shoot me if i'm wrong ;-)

yes, it's got one, as well as a SQL parser.

> > >   If we decided to go in this direction, it
> > > might be worth noting the existance of the Perl plaintext DBD libraries
> > > which already, to some extent, provide this functionality.  This means
> > > that if we don't mind using libperl, we don't have to start this from
> > > scratch.  There already exists a DBD::CSV, and there has been quite a
> > > bit of discussion about DBD::XML.
>
> hm, you might have a point there, altho i must admit at some points too many
> external dependencies might kill the purpose of the excercise. Anybodz that
> has ever tried to install GIMP on an IRIX box from tardist archives will know
> what i'm talking about - and for those who dont. If you want to install the
> GIMP on an Irix box you end up downloading about half a gig of all sorts of
> tardist archives just to satisfy all external dependencies and a dependency
> on a different language system sound more like somthing that should be taken
> on very carefully to me.

yeah, that's why I'd prefer a C API.