[gnome-db] Caching list view/-model ?

Hi,

I am in desparate need of a List/Tree widget that does *not* read the whole
database / model, but only a portion of it, essentially what is displayed.

This looks as an innocuous enough requirement, but I failed completely to
get anything to work, or even to find a model implementation.

The libgnomedb appears to contain something in this direction, however
a.t.m. I am still searching for it :-)

As far as I can tell, the gtk list/treeview code just loops over the the
whole list -- it does not look as if I could use it, but it appears as if
*you* are just doing it!  Perhaps I am misunderstanding something.

Anyway, what I want should not be that uncommon a requirement, because it
is not uncommon to have large databases, and expensive per item processing.

A minimum would be to disconnect the scrollbar from the listview, so that
one could reflect the position in a data base of, say, 10000 records in
the scrollbar, but only display the first twenty records, say, at the
beginning.  Has anyone ever tried this?

Regards,
        Peter