Re: [gnome-db] Re: new release

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 09:27, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 01:45:03AM +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Ok, I think we're set for doing the new release. Vivien, is that ok, or
> > do you have more things to commit?
> >

> No, I don't have any patch to commit soon. You can do the release.

ok, will do it tonight

> BTW, I'm working on a creation of low level classes to unify common
> behaviours of some objects of Mergeant (for instance the DbField and
> QueryField objects or the DbTable and Query objects). I think it is
> necessary for at least two reasons:
> - it's difficult, even for me, for find easily my way in the code so the
>   learning curve is quite high and I want to change this.
> - I want to make a library for all the basic objects which can be used
>   by other programs if necessary.

this is a good idea, and in fact, something that would allow us to do
nice things, such as:

* I recently added a mime type for .mergeant files, so that if you click
on them, mergeant is executed with the file name as argument. We could,
if we have mergeant's basic engine in a lib, create a nautilus view for
mergeant files.

* have gnome-office applications access mergeant's engine, which could
be much more powerful than just using libgda/libgnomedb (what they do
right now, mainly only libgda).

BTW, about opening files in Mergeant, I've got a concern, which is I
don't like the label and icon that is shown when no connection is
opened. I think it gives the app a bad look. So, I was thinking if it
could start with a connection dialog, or even better, with a dialog that
lets the user choose between opening a .mergeant file or opening
directly a connection to a DB server.

Also, when opening a file, we could make mergeant work offline until the
user explicitly connects to the database server. Would that be hard to
do?