RE: [gnome-db] Oracle, Table Names and Progress

You could get a list of Oracle databases by parsing a TSNAMES.ORA file.

-----Original Message-----
From: gnome-db-list-admin gnome org
[mailto:gnome-db-list-admin gnome org]On Behalf Of Rodrigo Moya
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 11:40 AM
To: Steve Fosdick
Cc: GDA
Subject: Re: [gnome-db] Oracle, Table Names and Progress

On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 02:16, Steve Fosdick wrote:

> Is this what the SCHEMA_DATABASES category is supposed to do - offer
> different sets of tables/views which are available without changing the
> connection to the server (including who we are logged in as)?

exactly. Usually, those would be real databases, as it is for postgres
and mysql, for instance. I was thinking that the oracle provider could
simulate databases by using Oracle's schemas.

>   If this
> is the case then we have a nice solution to the business of table names,
> but it does leave the question as to what the create_database and
> drop_database methods are supposed to do in the case of Oracle as, for
> what we are proposing, these would amount to creating and dropping
> users.

hmm, right. Or we could just leave them unimplemented in oracle,
although well, that would be a strange thing to have to call a (future)
drop_user for a schema returned in the DATABASES schema. Not sure what
to do, any other idea?