Re: [gnome-db] MySQL client API is GPL, not LGPL

El jue, 11-12-2003 a las 13:52, Murray Cumming Comneon com escribió:
> I recently discovered that MySQL changed the license for their client libs
> to GPL, although it was previously LGPL. But libgda is LGPL. I don't think
> that is possible, if libgda links to the MySQL libs.

In http://www.mysql.com/downloads/index.html they state that you need to
buy a license in these cases:
     1. If you distribute MySQL Software with your non open source
        software,
     2. If you want warranty from MySQL AB for the MySQL software,
     3. If you want to support MySQL development.

For 1, our software is open source...

May be we should just make the mysql provider GPL if it's linked against
mysql 4 and up and warn the users that if they use that provider, their
program is subject to the restrictions by MySQL AB.

Rodrigo, may be you should write an email to them explaining the
situation and asking for advice.

What have the people working on php4-mysql module done?

-Gonzalo

--
Gonzalo Paniagua Javier <gonzalo gnome-db org>
http://www.gnome-db.org/~gonzalo/