Re: [gnome-db] datasources:///

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 17:12, malerba gnome-db org wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 18:03, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Yesterday I was a bit playing with the "Network Servers" in garnome (you
> >> know, network:/// in nautilus), and I had an idea.
> >>
> >> What do you think about handling data sources in nautilus, for example
> >> using datasources:///?  We could also create a "New data source" icon,
> >> like "New Server" in the Network Servers window.
> >>
> > well, nautilus views (which is what network: is) dont make sense for
> > everything, and I think they don't for data sources. We already have the
> > gnome-database-properties app, which shows up when you go to
> > preferences:///Advanced in Nautilus.
> >
> > I don't think we should be adding a view for that.
> >

> Ok, I see your point. What about if we continued and made the nautilus
> view to show some database objects (tables, views, sequences and some
> user-defined queries) once a datasource is 'enterer into' and then allow
> the user to modify data from  within nautilus in the same way they can
> modify the files names within a directory?

well, that would mean map the database objects to a directory-like
structure, which is not an easy task, and which might not make sense at
all.

> That could be a quick way to manage data. What do you think?

if you want a quick way, from nautilus, you just go to
settings://Advanced, and start the gnome-database-properties app, which
will allow users to quickly modify the data in the database:

http://rodrigo.gnome-db.org/news.php?30/November/2003

once we've got the updatable data models, that app will allow a quick
access to the data, to modify it, etc.

So, there is really no need for the view. The problem with the view is
that we (hackers) know that using datasources:// in nautilus will get us
to that, but how would normal users know? You'll have to add a link to
datasources:// somewhere, and then, you are adding a non-file-system
thing to the file manager, which adds confusion and overhead.

A good integration thing in nautilus is, for instance, to register the
MIME type of the files saved in libgnomedb/mergeant, and associate
actions to it, that will allow users to quickly open their connections
to databases.