Re: [gnome-db] get_schema call - a couple of queries about information returned.

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 03:31:59 +0100 I wrote:

> Another way to handle this would be have the provider return the type
> as a provider specific string which is opaque to the application (such
> as mergeant) - the application would just display it or let the user
> choose it from a list.  If the application wanted to know what it
> could do with data of that type it would ask the provider for the
> corresponding GDA type - the get_gda_type method you mention later on.

That will teach me to write e-mails late at night.

The bit of the API I was referrring to is the type of a database column
returned by GDA_CONNECTION_SCHEMA_FIELDS and I have since checked the
code and this is already rerturned as a string.

So, the only change is that an application should not assume that it can
convert this string to a GDA type and then convert it back again for
display because more than one database type may map to the same GDA
type.  Instead it should store the string exactly as-is.

Steve.