RE: [gnome-db] parameters in SQL commands

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 14:16, Fernando Martins wrote:
> I'm not sure if you're talking about parametrized queries (e.g. SELECT *
> FROM PEOPLE WHERE YEAR_BIRTH = :year), where the parameter will be solved by
> the client run-time environemt (e.g. mergeant) either by asking the user or
> getting it from a (scoped) object,

yes, that's what we're talking about

>  but if that's the case, just use [name]
> and you will make all possible migrants from MS Access feel at home :-)

well, if we wanted to make some specific DBMS users happy, I think we'll
go for the most used ones, such as Oracle, or the free ones, such as
MySQL, PostgreSQL. But that's not the case. We just want to find the
most generic way to specify parameters. I've got nothing against using
[name], of course, but only if that's the best way.

> Also [name] will give more flexibility about what "name" can be, like
> including  spaces (like [Please, input the year] or
> [Forms!Form_People!Text_Box_Year]).

hmm, that's a really good idea, which seems worth the effort. Although,
as the parameter support is quite important right now, I'd prefer to
ignore this feature at the first implementation, which just needs toi
understand the placeholders, and replace them with values or
DBMS-specific placeholders. But, as your idea seems a good idea, if
nobody has nothing against it, I'll use [name] so that we can extend it
later on with what Fernando says.