RE: [gnome-db] RE: gASQL

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 00:39, Fernando Martins wrote:
> > > SQL = the command is written in standard SQL Data Definition
> > commands and
> > > the provider might have to do some modifications to comply with the DBMS
> > > proprietary SQL (or not).
> > >
> > well, that's what the GdaCommand does, although it doesn't differentiate
> > between GDA's SQL and provider's SQL. Maybe that should be added.
> >

> Let me see if I understand it. As it is now,
> 	1) GdaCommand accepts a command and sends it without any parsing to the
> provider (except checking the options);

yes. This command can be of the following types:

* SQL
* TABLE, the text represents the names of one or more tables to get the
data from. Providers usually just do a SELECT * FROM $table and return
that
* XML -> XML queries, not yet supported
* PROCEDURE -> it is a call to a stored procedure

> 	2) the client provider also sends it without parsing to the DBMS

the client creates the GdaCommand, so it knows what it is sending.

> Are you considering the possibility of GdaCommand to accept GDA's SQL and
> convert it to the provider's dialect?

yes, why not, it would be nice so that clients can just use that SQL
dialect, and then create GdaCommand's of type GDA_SQL, which will then
be parsed in the providers and converted to their own SQL. It seems a
good solution, so please, add a bug to bugzilla, so that it doesn't get
forgotten.