RE: [gnome-db] RE: gASQL

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 23:39, Fernando Martins wrote:
> Let me suggest to have:
>
> 	modify_schema(cmd_type, gdaparameterlist)
>
> where
>
> enum cmd_type {GDA, DBMS, SQL}
>
> meaning
>
> GDA = the command uses GDA syntax which the provider has to convert to DBMS
> command (proprietary SQL, standard SQL, whatever)
>
> DBMS = the command uses DBMS syntax and provider just passes it through to
> the  DBMS
>
> SQL = the command is written in standard SQL Data Definition commands and
> the provider might have to do some modifications to comply with the DBMS
> proprietary SQL (or not).

well, that's what the GdaCommand does, although it doesn't differentiate
between GDA's SQL and provider's SQL. Maybe that should be added.

but the point is, if you know the SQL needed to do it, you just use a
GdaCommand and execute it on the server. What we really need is to let
the client do the job without knowing what provider it's talking to.