Re: [gnome-db] Mergeant forms status

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 13:50, Vivien Malerba wrote:

> > > There are however still some work to be done:
> > > * UI bugs
> > >
> > I'm not an UI expert at all (you all know that :-), but it seems to me
> > the forms dialog need some UI fixes. For instance, I think the vertical
> > bar should be better changed to be a button with an arrow. The current
> > vertical bar looks confusing IMO
>
> I think it is better because it occupies less space in the form (and
> leaves more for the actual data). I just want to remove the keyboard
> focus for it and re-enable mouse sensitiveness.

well, I'm talking about something like
http://primates.ximian.com/~rodrigo/extra-options.png. As you can see,
the little button with the arrow just occupies a little space, and it's
purpose its clearer to the eye of the user, I think. Then, once pressed,
we can present the menu, as the image shows and as you are already
doing.

> > Also, I would like to have the form being able to display
> > one-record-at-a-time but also the whole data in the form of a grid. So,
> > what about adding an option menu that lets the user select how to
> > display the data (record-at-a-time or grid)? We could reuse the same
> > navigation buttons, and just add actions to select/move/edit rows in the
> > grid.
>
> This will be another widget (DataGrid, the object already has a basic
> structure in CVS) because the inner working and structures are
> completely different. The user will be able to go from one to the other
> by a single button press.

ok, great!

> > Also, the dialogs that ask whether to run the SQL commands or not should
> > be removed. Or are those just displayed because of debug being enabled?
>
> For now they are enabled, but I want to convert this into a global
> option: whether to ask confirmation before SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT or
> DELETE calls (so each user can set wether he wants to check the queries
> before they are commited). The default would be no confirmation for
> SELECT, and confirmation for the others.

nice, leave that to me, since as I told you, I'll be working on a unique
preferences dialog, so I'll include this option also.