Re: [gnome-db] Mergeant forms status

>>>I've commited the latest work on the mergeant forms. It is now possible
>>>to do INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE operations for the tables. You'll
>>>notice, at the right or each data enty in any form a small vertical
>>>bar:
>>>it is used to do some special actions on the corresponding entry (set
>>>NULL, set to default value) and shows the current status of the entry
>>>(green for a NULL entry, blue for an entry set to the default value,
>>>red
>>>if the entry must be modified before any commit and gray if none of the
>>>previous status applies).
>>wow, looks great! and works!!!!!
>>I'm not an UI expert at all (you all know that :-), but it seems to me
>>the forms dialog need some UI fixes. For instance, I think the vertical
>>bar should be better changed to be a button with an arrow. The current
>>vertical bar looks confusing IMO
>I think it is better because it occupies less space in the form (and
>leaves more for the actual data). I just want to remove the keyboard
>focus for it and re-enable mouse sensitiveness.

Does it display a note about the "meaning" when one mouses over?

>>Also, I would like to have the form being able to display
>>one-record-at-a-time but also the whole data in the form of a grid. So,
>>what about adding an option menu that lets the user select how to
>>display the data (record-at-a-time or grid)? We could reuse the same
>>navigation buttons, and just add actions to select/move/edit rows in the
>>grid.
>This will be another widget (DataGrid, the object already has a basic
>structure in CVS) because the inner working and structures are
>completely different. The user will be able to go from one to the other
>by a single button press.

Nice.

>>Also, the dialogs that ask whether to run the SQL commands or not should
>>be removed. Or are those just displayed because of debug being enabled?
>For now they are enabled, but I want to convert this into a global
>option: whether to ask confirmation before SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT or
>DELETE calls (so each user can set wether he wants to check the queries
>before they are commited). The default would be no confirmation for
>SELECT, and confirmation for the others.
>>Maybe some people with better UI knowledge than me can make some more
>>suggestions, so, please vivien, make a screenshot of the dialog, and
>>send it to the list, so that other people can have a look without
>>compiling from CVS.

I'm looking, and very impressed.

>Here they are:
>pict1 shows the form presented for data insertion. The red rectangles
>show data which need to be entered, the blue ones show fields where the
>default value will be set (if there is no modification).
>pict2 is the same form where I started to enter data. The green bar
>indicates that the 'imprimable' field will be set to NULL.
>pict3 is the form displaying actual data in the table.
>>Anyway, great job!

Yes, faboulous!

I've finally made the jump to GNOME2, as I figured 2.0.1 should be pretty
stable.  Wow, is GNOME2 fast!  What did they do to nautilus? That thing screams.
 Looks like it is time to upgrade my GNOME-DB/gASQL now too.

Thanks guys.