Re: [gnome-db] Mergeant + FileMaker

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 adam morrison-ind com wrote:

> >>If someone create a GDA provider for filemaker, then yes.
> >>If someone creates a GDA provider for those file formats.  Of course, if
> >>those
> >>applications support GDA themselves you may be able to do the reverse.
> >>Load
> >>data into a GDA supported database via Gnumeric which supports both Excel
> >>and GDA.  Open Office would be tougher, as I don't think there is even the
> >>beginnings of GDA support.
> >Open Office does supports ODBC though... there is a good article on it
> >at:
> >http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/OOoMySQL.pdf
> >Perhaps an ODBC driver based on GDA is needed! (only half joking...)
>
> There is a GDA provider for ODBC sources, I think.  But I can't think of any
> data sources that GDA supports, and ODBC doesn't.  Except maybe LDAP,  but I
> don't think the GDA:LDAP provider works (yet).
>
> Ximian keeps talking about integrating Open Office with GNOME, so ?maybe? that
> will include GDA.... Probably dreaming here.

No idea - there doesn't seem to be all that much ximian-originating OOo
code floating around... so the easy/non-ooo specific way would be to make
a odbc driver that on the other end was gda. Or if you want tighter
integration, a sdbc driver for GDA.

> Maybe Mono could be used to build a data conversion application?  It supports
> GDA (or so I'm told), does it also support ODBC?

Chances of Mono support in OOo are probably pretty close to nil.

	Sander

	There are voices in the street,
	And the sound of running feet,
	And they whisper the word --