[gnome-db] Re: gda-report-document

Santi Camps writes:
El sáb, 02-11-2002 a las 14:46, idstewart softhome net escribió:
Gonzalo Paniagua Javier writes:
> * [ Santi Camps <santicamps wanadoo es>
> * Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:29:08 +0100 ]
>> I'm not familiarized with XML Schema, I think that they are an
>> evolution of DTD, but that's all I know.  If this is true, it could be
>> better use XML Schema.
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/ and -2 > > Yes, they are an evolution of DTDs, extending them to allow, not only > defining entities, but their validation criteria and also data types. We use XSD at work. In addition to supporting fine grained validation criteria, it also supports extension- and restriction based subclassing. One of the nicest aspects of this is, because XSD is itself rendered in XML, you can use XSD to extend XSD...

It seems that XML Schema is not completely implemented in libxml2, as
Dmitry has wrote in a previous e-mail.
Do you use any other free library to do this?  Perhaps a non-free
library?  A high level product?

Most of the work we do is in support of Enterprise System Management. As such, we don't interact directly with the low-level libraries. Rather, we use XML and XSD primarily for data definition purposes. There are plans in the works to implement a SOAP interface, to allow Perl/mod_perl to interact with our J2EE middleware, and we will use XSD in conjunction with WSDL to facilitate that, but we aren't there just yet...

> > As i said in my previous mail, if libxml2 supports schemas, it would > allow as to save some coding to validate data. > > But, well, if not, we can just use a DTD and validate the data by > ourselves :-) Why not use XSD and provide your own validation? At the very least, parsing would be alot less painful.

I'm not sure what you are proposing.  Our intention is not implement any
parsing, just use libxml to do it.  We are also thinking to use libxml
to make some validations, but nowadays it seems that should be done
using DTDs.

Yes, I read that message. But it seems to me, if you are already contemplating developing your own DTD-based validation code (or did I misread that?), it would be little extra effort, and a lot more productive, to go ahead and make the switch to XSD. I'm not entirely certain why libxml2 doesn't support XSD-based validation, as it has been in production use for at least the last two years ('it' referring to XSD), but I suppose that is another matter entirely.

If you know another way that can be used from a free C library, could
you explain it, please ?

Hmm...most of the work I do is with Perl and Java, but something to look into...I'll let you know if I uncover anything worthwhile.

Ian