[gnome-db] General Query

Hello All,
I am new to GNome DB and was wanting to know if GNome DB allows storage and retreval of data from some native format, so that I dont have to worry about having  a particular data base server on the target computer.
I am primarily looking at writing applications that have some sort of a portable data format, performance is an issue to some extent but portability is the biggest issue.
If any one has any suggestions please let me know.