Re: [gnome-db] Re: dwi and libgda

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 17:52, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 02:54:38PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya was heard to remark:
> > So, I think we should start integrating the engine into libgda now.
> > Linas, how does that sound? do you agree?
>
> Umm, is there am arhcitectural overview document for libgda somewhere?
> Something that describes the major components, the various objects,
> widgets, what they do, what they're used for?  I guess I could read the
> source but I'm lazy...

not much :-(

> Problem is, I still don't really understand libgda, and need to learn
> quick ...

a quick look:

	* GdaClient is the main entry point for clients
	* GdaConnection, GdaCommand -> interface to connections
	* GdaDataModel, GdaDataModelArray and GdaRecordset -> data
	  models, which are the way to get data from DBMS.
	* GdaValue, GdaRow, GdaField, etc, to access data models
	* GdaServerProvider -> base class for providers (ie, providers
	  have to implement this class)
	* GdaXql* -> XML query implementation

> > If so, please tell me when
> > you've converted them to GObject's, the files involved, and I'll try to
> > make the starting work of the integration, to speed things up.
>
> Why is it important to have them as GObjects?

integration into other GNOME libraries, ease of development (we all know
how to use GObject), features (signals, inheritance), etc

> My code, for right now, is for gnome-1.4; will it also be imprtant to
> port to gnome-2.0?

libgda code I talk about is for GNOME 2, since it is just around the
corner, and it's a much better development platform (GObject allows us
to use it in non-UI apps). So, yes, we should be porting it. Any help
you need on this, please ask me, since I've ported many files to GNOME 2
:-)