Re: [gnome-db] Re: dwi and libgda

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 03:20, Andrew Hill wrote:

> >Several remarks:
> >1) I'm trying to create a graphical designer for DWI (spec'd in DWI
> >   itself!  I'm trying to make DWI that flexible/powerful).
> >
> >2) I *really* would like to see glade itself split into a bunch of
> >   widgets/libraries, so that I could embed parts of glade in *my* app.
> >   (e.g. so that I could embed the glade hierarchical viewer/picker
> >   in my app).  This may be a tall order but ...
> >
> >   ... but it may be philosophically cleaner to add glade support to
> >   application X, rather than adding support for X into glade ...
> >
> >   Glade  should be good at laying oput widgets, and no more.  I'd
> >   rather add glade to my DB designer, than to force my bloat onto
> >   glade.
> >
> agree. I have no need for extra database controls etc for glade and i use it
> to as my database designer. It would confuse the user. I only use
> the basic widget set nothing more. The thing i want from glade in the long
> run is been able to embedded it into java applications some how.  may
> mean a rewrite compeltely in java :(

well, it would confuse the user if those widgets are not available in
Glade, but if they are (which they are, at least 50%), they won't
confuse, since it will be just another widget set in the Glade designer,
nothing more.

Anyway, for the time being, I think we should concentrate on the engine
(ie, the non-UI stuff), and then we can make tests to see what's the
best way for the widget stuff.

So, I think we should start integrating the engine into libgda now.
Linas, how does that sound? do you agree? If so, please tell me when
you've converted them to GObject's, the files involved, and I'll try to
make the starting work of the integration, to speed things up.

> >3) I've begun converting the DWI internal structures into glib2
> >   GObjects.  The reason for this is somewhat subtle --- and would
> >   cloud this email.   But the idea is "wouldn't it be neat to have
> >   gobjects that know how to manipulate other gobjects (and hook
> >   them to databases)?"  This way, I can bootstrap up ... use DWI
> >   to design a DWI designer ...
> >
> >4) The ultimate -- use DWI to power a web interface (using PHP???)
> >   That way, I can have both a glade and a web interface for the cost
> >   of one.  But this idea is still out there; haven't worked on it yet.
> >
> I've been wokring on this for month and a half.  I've got it so i can
> parse a glade
> XML file and generate all the HTML for it dynamically and lay it out just
> like it would look in GTK.  Working on web server now for processing.
>  Difficult
> bit is usercallbacks. when in gtk you make a shit load of callbacks (cross
> dependent widgets etc), but callbacks are hugely damaging in the world
> of hmtl.
> But yes it is all possible.  I'd suggest you use CGI instead of PHP
> though php is
> very nice.

that sounds really nice, really really nice.