Re: [gnome-db] Oracle provider connection designator

On Mon, 2002-06-03 at 00:45, Tim Coleman wrote:
> I've been trying for much of this afternoon to determine if there is a way
> to connect to an Oracle database without using the TNSNAME from
> tnsnames.ora.  I have been able to successfully connect using libgda
> to an Oracle database, with a DataSource definition something like
>
>   <section path="/apps/libgda/Datasources/Oracle">
>     <entry name="Provider" type="string" value="Oracle"/>
>     <entry name="Username" type="string" value="SCOTT"/>
>     <entry name="Password" type="string" value="TIGER"/>
>     <entry name="DSN" type="string" value="TNSNAME=GAMBLOR;PASSWORD=TIGER"/>
>     <entry name="Description" type="string" value="Oracle libgda provider"/>
>   </section>
>
> with gda-test.  I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to do a OCIServerAttach
> without using the TNSNAME, and if so, what the syntax is.  I understand that
> the TNSNAME would be preferred, but I'm sure there must be some way to
> do it with a combination of host, port, and sid.

hmm, the oracle provider in the GNOME 1,4 version was able to connect
using the $ORACLE_SID variable, as well as using a TNSNAMES entry. So,
have a look to see how it does.

About using combination of host, port, etc, I don't know :-( Do the
Oracle docs say something about it? (in the header files, there was some
documentation about each function, last time I looked).

> I'm sure Rodrogo and Gonzalo are tired of me asking, so I thought I would send
> it to the list.

heh, we're not tired yet :-)