[gnome-db] Re: Philisophical discussion regarding widget-based data reports

On Thu, 2002-01-03 at 22:57, Jimspbox aol com wrote:
> Yet more questions..

please, from now on, send all your questions to our mailing list
(http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-db-list, so that other
people involved on this can participate with their ideas.

> These are more a matter of personal curiosity.
> The report widget (as it will be) will accept the data from the report engine
> (in this case in xml format) and display it.  Correct me if I'm wrong so far.

you are right

> Is there, or will there be, any requirement to send information back from the
> widget?
> The main point to this that I can see would be to display a table or result
> of SQL query (for example), and be able to update the data at the source by
> manual entry in the widget.  I imagine the requisite information could be
> found within the XML DTD(?)

hmm, I don't know if I understand well what you mean. Are you saying to
let the widget modify the report output? If so, what for? I'm thinking
that reports are a static thing when they are run, you just expect it to
print the results from your database.
There may be cases when people really want to modify the report output
before sending it to print though, but I don't think it is a high
priority thing right now.