Re: [gnome-db] Triggers support

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 14:00, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Le Lundi 16 Décembre 2002 13:38, Vivien Malerba a écrit :
> > Here is my idea about it:
>
> Great. I am quite busy this afternoon and will look at pgAdmin code before
> answering you, probably tonight.
>
> By the way, I love Mergeant, thanks for this great tool. Do you think there is
> a chance to implement generic database schema export/import tools using
> libgda SQL reverse engeneering functions (i.e. SQL returned by each object) ?

we've got a XML-based format for describing databases. It is fairly
incomplete, but I was planning myself to use that for generic
import/export tools.

A good idea might be to store in this XML the SQL command got from the
provider, and, if available, when importing, reuse that same SQL command
to recreate the objects, so that nothing at all is lost, in the case of
export/import to the same RDBMS. For other cases (different RDBMS, no
SQL available), we could just re-create the DB objects from the XML.