-----Original Message-----
From: gnome-db-list-admin gnome org
[mailto:gnome-db-list-admin gnome org]On Behalf Of Jean-Michel POURE
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 8:57 AM
To: GDA
Subject: [gnome-db] Feature requests : reverse engeneering & md5 stamps

Dear all,

As regards pgAdmin2, I was wondering if you could consider these would-be
features :

6) SQL reverse engeneering. We may need a "rev_eng" field in each object
carrying the required SQL code to create the object.

For example, in the case of triggers :
rev_eng =
"CREATE TRIGGER foo BEFORE UPDATE ON bar FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE
foo_bar('toto')"

pgSchema, the object layer of pgAdmin2, offers such a feature, which is very
useful.

In the case of GnomeDB, the beauty of reverse engeneering would be to
provide
an easy migration of schemas ... from one database system to another.

This would be fantastic. Personaly, I do not know a single free product
capable of such a thing (IMHO, only ODBC products provide such limited
features, but they do not really work).

7) Also, as regards of pgAdmin2, when working in teams, it is always hard to
know whether an object was updated or not. IMHO, the only solution would be
to store an MD5 for the field rev_eng (let's call it renv_eng_md5).
Everytime
we want to modify an object, the provider would query renv_eng_md5 and
compare it with the old value. If some other developper modified the object,
we could then warn the user.

What do you think of this my friends?
Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE