Re: [gnome-db] refactoring completed

On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 02:06, Adam Williams wrote:
> >Ok, the refactoring to a non-CORBA based architecture is done, only
> >missing a couple of details and crashes :-) but the big change is
> >already done, and things are more or less working.
> >There are different things that need to be done, and so I'm writing them
> >here to keep things moving and have people help me in some of these. So,
> >here they are:
> >* there is a problem in libgda/libgda/gda-recordset.c, and so data is
> >not being returned correctly.
>
> I suppose it's time to revisit my "Data Access For Linux" presentation.
> Does this change make GDA GNOME specific, as it isn't pure CORBA
> anymore?  Or is this just affecting the GNOME-DB portion / GDA client
> side?

no, on the contrary, this change makes it less-GNOME-specific than
before, since now we depend on glib and libxml, which are
not-GNOME-specific, even they are multi-platform and multi-os.

> >* libgda/libgda/gda-config.c is still using GConf (which has itself
> >CORBA dependencies). I think we should replace that with a simple
> >file-based API that simply uses ~/.libgda/config as its source. I think
> >we could use XML for the format of that file, and just have something
> >like:
> ><config>
> ><entry name="/apps/libgda/Datasources/dsn1/Provider">PostgreSQL</entry>
> ><entry
> >name="/apps/libgda/Datasources/dsn1/DSN">HOST=localhost;DATABASE=db1</entry>
>
> Will it be possible to create system-DSNs?  Like checking
> /etc/libgda/config and then if nothing found checking ~/.libgda/config?
> (Gee, can you tell I sys-admin for a living?).

yeah, good point. We should do that.

> >* now writing new providers is really easy, so anybody wanting to add a
> >new provider, please do. Also, help on the incomplete ones (Oracle,
> >ODBC, Interbase, Sybase, etc) would be appreciated.
>
> Would it be feasable to have a page on the website that shows the
> relative completeness of various providers?  For the sanity of us lowly
> users.

well, the web site will need a big review because of this change, so
yes, as we redo the web, we can add some sort of status page, where
stats about completeness of each part is done.
The problem is that we don't have a webmaster to do work :-( Does
somebody want to volunteer for that?