Re: [gnome-db] more refactoring

Le Dimanche 21 Avril 2002 02:57, Rodrigo Moya a écrit :
> So, how does this sound? Any concern/suggestion/opinion?

Hello,

I contribute to a project called pgAdmin2, PostgreSQL Windows GUI, which I
would like to port to Gnome or KDE. I am looking for a good database
abstraction layer with multiple providers.

Libgda is a great project. Here are my questions:

1) C++
Looking at the code, the authors seemed to write C++ using C. In my humble
opinion, data providers could gain from a class abstraction and inheritance.

Is there any reasons why C++ (or Python) were not used? Using C++ would reduce
the work needed for writting new providers ... and these providers would be
more powerfull.

2) XML
Also, I would like to know if you consider using more XML for data provider
description. Many features are presently hard-coded in C. Embeeded XML in C++
would be great to describe specific features of each provider.

3) Examples
For example, PostgreSQL provides several server-side languages (PLpython,
PLperl, PLpgSQL, etc...), multi-byte data and client-side recoding, triggers.
Are these specific features described in libgda?

By now, my opinion is that I should start a Python database abstraction layer.
Before doing so, I would like to learn more about libgda future directions.

Are you going to provide a better object-oriented structure (C++) with XML for
libgda? What is your personal opinion?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE