Re: [gnome-db] Re: GNOME_DB - perl volunteer at hand

On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 17:22, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 15:25, Rafiq Ismail wrote:
> > Hi Rodrigo,
> >
> > I'm writing with regard to:

> > libgda API, since we\'re starting to add scripting support to the GNOME-DB
> > front end, and so we need to let access to libgda API from those scripts.
> > We need somebody with medium Perl skills
> >
> > I might be your man.  Got a high standard in perl and I'd be quite keen on
> > mucking in.  Do you have spec. which I can look at?
> >
> cool! Yes, you might be our man.
>
> So, the current plan for bindings, perl included, is to use the tools
> created by the bindings team, which consists in (if I haven't
> misunderstood):
>
> * generating .defs file for the API to make bindings for
> * generating bindings for many languages using those .defs files.
>
> So, this is, as you can see, not a 100%-perl-related stuff, since the
> .defs files have a somewhat similar syntax than the one in lisp. But, if
> you do the .defs file, you'll make the work for several bindings at once
> (perl, guile, python, etc).

The necessary .defs files already exist in libglademm, in the gnomemm
module. They are split up into methods, signals/properties, enums, and
vfuncs, because each is generated in a different way. If you need to
regenerate them then just ask on the #c++ channel.

Isn't there a perl-gtk project for gtk2? And some perl bonobo binding
for GNOME2? If these exists then you should be able to reuse their tools
to generate wrapper code.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net