Re: [gnome-db] libgdamm: C++ bindings

On Sun, 2002-04-14 at 17:18, Murray Cumming wrote:
> I have read in the mailing lists that the libgda (part of the gnome-db
> project) C++ bindings are generally broken. I guess that this is due to
> the change to use GObject in libgda. However, we have solved this
> problem for the gtkmm/gnomemm wrappers.

well, for GNOME 1.4, the libgda C++ bindings work, but as we changed a
lot of things in the C API for GNOME 2, they are outdated now

> The C++ bindings also unnecessarily rename the methods to use e.g.
> SomeMethod instead of some_method. Further, they do not use enough C++
> types, are hand-coded, and are generally inconsistent with the gnomemm
> C++ bindings for the rest of GNOME.
>
> Therefore I have created the libgdamm project, which you can find in the
> gnomemm module in cvs.gnome.org. This will attempt to wrap libgda in the
> same way that we have wrapped many of the other GNOME libraries.

cool!

> I would appreciate some help with this. The gtkmmproc code-generator is
> documented and several people on gtkmm-main lists sourceforge net are
> familiar with it. We are also available on #c++ on irc.gnome.org.

ok, what help do you need? I just got the sources for gnomemm, and can't
understand from a first look how everytrhing works, so I also need a bit
of help

> Due to libgda's use of CORBA types in its interface, it might be
> necessary in future to make libgda depend on the ORBit2 cpp branch, but
> this will be merged into ORBit2 HEAD soon after GNOME2 is released. The
> libbonobouimm project already depends on the ORBit2 cpp branch, so we
> know how this works.

ugh, I would prefer not to make libgda depend on the cpp branch, so
we'll try to help you in having that branch merged into the 'real'
ORBit2 branch ASAP.

I'm going to #c++ now...