Re: [gnome-db] Do the new 0.8.x versions compile on gnome-1.4?

Versions 0.2.x of libgda/gnome-db is meant for Gnome 1.4 while
Versions 0.8.x of libgda/libgnomedb/gnome-db is meant for Gnome 2.0

Version 0.2.96 is a stable release while 0.8.x is where development is
taking place.

Versions 0.8.x will not compile under gnome 1.4 because versions 0.8.x
were built from the ground up to be based on gnome 2.

I built and currently run my Gnome 2 desktop under Gnome 1.4 using
Xnest. There are build scripts which will download, build, and install
to a prefix your Gnome 2 desktop in the proper build order.  Such build
scripts include Garnome, vicious-build-scripts, jhbuild, and there are
others.  They are easy to use and keep you Gnome 1.4 system clean
because the build scripts will install into a prefix.
Vicious-build-scripts is the way to go if you want to keep up with gnome
cvs.

However, I do recommend that you have plenty of hard drive space - say
3.5 GB to build Gnome 2. Expect the build to take a long time.  On my
Pentium II 333 with 384 MB RAM, It took 2 days to compile.