Re: [gnome-db] Thoughts on stability and use in world

On Thu, 2001-09-06 at 02:15, will lashell net wrote:
> I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts about gnome-db & libgda
> in regards to stability and readiness for the real world. I
> work for a financial services company and I'm very very interested
> in using gnome-db for quite a few of our utility applications
> and perhaps some of our cli server apps.
>
> Working with rodrigo on irc today there were at least a couple
> of nontrivial issues that would make me hesistant to deploy
> gnome-db powered applications onto our production machines.
>
> Has anyone else out there attempted to use these libs in a
> production environment?

AFAIK, the ASPL-FACT people (http://aspl-fact.sourceforge.net) were
using it for a "big" application.

But yes, you are right in that it's got some ugly stuff and some
problems. That's what I'm working on for the GNOME 2 version, which I
think (and hope) will be ready for real world applications.

Anyway, as I told you yesterday on IRC, I'm going to clean up the stable
API as well (maybe backporting some of the changes I made in the
unstable branch) so that you don't have to wait too much for the GNOME 2
version.
Also, some of the problems I've experienced myself come from
OAF/Bonobo/CORBA weirdness, stuff that is being addressed in the GNOME 2
versions of those. So I personally hope to have everything sorted out by
that time, and hopefully have a real 1.0 version of libgda/gnome-db
then.