First impressions/problems (was [gnome-db] libgda and application development )

Okay well here we go.. :)

These are comments purely from an app developers point of view,
and me knowing absolutely nothing about the internals of the libarary.
So please don't flame me too much :)

gnome_db_init()  is this function really necessary? When do we call it?
if we have to call it, when do we need to call it? before gnome_init, after?

gda_corga_get_org()

why can't gda_connection_new() call this implicitly if its not specified?

okay.. now this one is harsh for new developers

gint gda_recordset_open (GdaRecordset *rs,
                                             GdaCommand *cmd,
                                             GDA_CursorType cursor_type,
                                             GDA_LockType lock_type,
                                             gulong options);

in the documentation you tell us that you only support forward only cursors, and read only locks

soooo umm, what do we use? do you specify a string, do you put in an int, I didn't see anywhere
what we should actually put in there.

why is there no gda_recordset_num_rows() function?  Where/how can i see how many rows
a recordset contains? Should I pull this out of the struct( gads i hope not )
I see there is a gda_recordset_affected_rows() but this should only be for queries that
change rows.

Hrmm okay i've got my recordset, now... how to get the value of a field. I looked at the
field object, but ... wow.... there's a whole lot more there than I would have
expected. How/what do I do now?

Please don't think i'm completely dissatisfied, because there is a striking similarity between this
and ADO, which is actually really nice and meaningful :)

Thanks for all your help

Will

"Doh.. STUPID STUPID STUPID"

--an excerpt taken from every developers cvs
  commit message at some point