Re: [gnome-db] A very empty gnomedb-fe

On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 20:02, Aditya Gilra wrote:
> ||Shriharih||
>
> God-Remembrance.
>
> > ?? what version are you using? It should be
> > installing stuff in
> > $(datadir)/oaf, where $datadir is, normally,
> > $prefix/share. Maybe you
> > had some problem with the configure script?
>
> I'm using 0.2.92 (I've done configure so many times
> that I don't have any outputs).
>
> I untarred everything again, did a configure with
> --prefix=/usr, hand-removed the old stuff from
> /usr/local.
>
> OK. I got gasql working fine. I could get the
> gnomedb-mgr running from gasql and configured up a
> DSN, etc. It was good.
>
> ----------> BUT, gnomedb-fe is still as empty as
> before.
> NOW what am I doing wrong. I even did a system restart
> but same problem.

hmm, weird. Are now all the .oaf files in /usr/share/oaf?

Could you run oaf-slay, and then start gnomedb-fe in a terminal and send
me the output. Hopefully there will be some error messages that can help
us tracking down the problem. If this doesn't give you any message, just
run gnomedb-components from a terminal, and see the output

> ---------> A few minor ones with gasql also.
> 1) gnomedb-mgr keeps running after I quit gasql.
> I need to kill it to access it after running gasql
> again else gasql hangs.

That's a reference problem in gASQL. It should, when it no longer uses
the component, to unref it, which is what the gnomedb-fe does. I'll have
a look at the gASQL code.

> 2) I'm unable to edit any tuple in a table. After
> editing, I press save and it says -
> 'There is no data to be modified. The modifiations
> have been cancelled.' And all my changes are gone.

that's Vivien who could better answer your question. Vivien?

> > Could you send me the output of configure?

> > /usr/share/oaf
> > > >

> > > I copied the .oaf files (from the separate
> > > sub-diretories as they didn't get installed) into
> > > /usr/share/oaf and the second solution too. But
> > this
> > > doesn't work.
> > >
> > hmm, maybe restarting oafd, as Will suggests? I had
> > never to do that,
> > but it seems Will had to do it, so please try it
> > yourself.
> Tried it to no effect.
>
> Anyway, I can add/edit DSN via gasql so it's okay for
> now.
>
> But,
> 1) what's so special about --prefix=/usr that it
> works?

nothing special, just that it saves you the extra work of copying files
to /usr/share/oaf or using the OAF_INFO_PATH variable.

> 2) small problems yet in gasql.
>
> Have got glade running with gnome-db but I had to
> remove the login-dlg and error-dlg widgets as they
> gave compile problems. Also some changes to NULL
> arguments in error and login widgets.

which version of Glade are you using? I remember I did some changes to
Glade in CVS to make it work with latest GNOME-DB, and I'm not sure if
there's been a release containing those changes. Maybe you should get
Glade from CVS, which compiles perfectly well with GNOME-DB
0.2.92/0.2.93

> I'll try to write python bindings for Gnome 1.4 as of
> now.

great!