[gnome-db]'i'd like to colaborate adding more providers'

I chose the best fit option here, but my message is not an exact fit.

I'm working with a team of MS Access refugees (see
sourceforge.net/projects/ddpi) to achieve an approximate functional
replacement for MS Access 97.  We don't necessarily care if we do this by
making something basically new or by putting our efforts into an existing
project moving in approximately the same direction, but with a focus on
implementing the specific features and capabilities we want to have.

I'm sending this message to you because we may or may not want to join the
GNOME-DB project, and we may or may not want to adopt libgda even if we
don't, but the on-line documentation is insufficient to answer the
questions we have about libgda.  If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to
have you read the following list of our goals (as I, personally see them)
to see if they seem to be compatible with the goals of GNOME-DB, and my
questions about libgda and see if you can give me a clearer picture.

Thanks in advance.

Our goals:
1.  A database front end and interactive RAD environment.
2.  Must be fully functional on at least the Linux and MS Windows platforms
(MS Windows is imperative).
3.  Powerful reporting on reasonable parity with MS Access (so far, nothing
else comes close).
4.  Allows SQL queries of both ODBC data and at least one kind of shared
file data (could be through ODBC driver).

libgda questions (not really worded as questions, but you get the idea):
>From the documentation, I cannot tell if it is possible to do SQL queries
of data sources that support SQL (such as ODBC, PostgreSQL, etc.).  I see
you are working on a unified XML query system for all data sources, but I
hope this is taking into account that queries should translated, to the
greatest degree possible, to back-end queries for optimal speed.  Our group
would benefit greatly from a unified SQL query system as well, but I think
we could live with handling that by using ODBC even if that means using
ODBC where a specific libgda driver would be more efficient.  Would it be
consistent with GNOME-DB philosophy to add a unified SQL query system in
parallel with the XML system?

Thanks for your time,

	Steve Jorgensen - DDPI development team