Re: [gnome-db]Hi...

On 04 Jul 2001 17:32:21 -0300, Marcelo Elias Del Valle wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:08:42AM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > ok, the problem is that it does not open the connection. So, could you open
> > a terminal and execute there 'gdb gda-mysql-srv' and set up a breakpoint
> > on gda_mysql_connection_open, and when it stops there, execute step by
> > step, and send me what you get?
>
> 	Okay... Rodrigo, I am trying to do it here, but I am getting some
> troubbles... May you help me?
> 	First, I would like to ask you a question... The libgda I am using was
> compiled by the source I got from cvs. I executed configure with only the
> option --prefix=/usr:
> ./autogen
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> make
> make install
> 	However, I didn't set anything to mysql provider be compiled... Is it
> right? Should I have done something?

you must specify a --with-mysql argument to configure. if not, the
providers are not built. But, I don't know why but you've got gda-mysql
installed, since the error you did get was coming from the MySQL
provider ("Can't connect to MySQL server on localhost..."). So, maybe
you've got an old version around?

> 	When I tried debug gda_mysql_connection_open, I got the following
> error:
> (no debugging symbols found)...(gdb) list 'gda_mysql_connection_open'
> No line number information available for address 0x804a5ac
> <gda_mysql_connection_open>
> (gdb)

was this on the gda-mysql-srv binary? If so, just do:

(gdb) b gda_mysql_connection_open
(gdb) continue

> 	But whem I compiled libgda, I verified that the -g option was used.
>
> 	What can be happening?

there's something weird in your setup, if you say you didn't specify a
--with-mysql argument to configure. Please check that you don't have a
gda-mysql RPM or debian package installed or an old compilation lying
around.

> 	I would like to join soon on gnome-db and glade projects, but I am
> still learning bonobo and ORBIT. I am no experienced with CORBA. However, I
> would like so much if I could help you with this problems on gnome-db and gda.
> Do you have alredy a todo for gnome-db/gda? I didn't found one on site...

yes, there's one. At http://www.gnome-db.org/dev/index.php. It may miss
some stuff though. Anyway, gnome-db/libgda are composed of several
parts, so there are a lot of things to do, and maybe you'll first have
to choose on which one you're interested. Have a look at that page, and
tell me which one you prefer. Or if you've got other ideas, just tell me
also

> 	I am studing gnome-db and gda sources now, It is being a little hard
> to understand bonobo and CORBA parts, but I will be knowing the source soon.
> So, I wait I may try to help you with bug fixing.

bug fixing would be great! Have a look at the bugs stuff listed on the page
above.