Re: [gnome-db]gnome-db web

Hi,

On 29 Jan 2001, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> > - Add information to the front page.
> >   IMHO the front page should show the best contents of the pages. This
> >   could mean, for example, adding a direct link to the two manuals (libgda
> >   manual and gnome-db manual) and to the latest release of gnome-db.
> >
> yes

Ok, then I'll add direct links to the manuals and to the download page
using a pair of gnome icons so there are quickly seen.

> > - Add a page about the current status of the project. This could be done
> >   throught a news page. Maybe it would be a good idea to add the news
> >   section to the front page instead of to one page by itself. (IMO at
> >   least a list of the latest news should be added to the front page).
> >

> the old version had a primitive newslog in the front page, but when I
> made the move to the new pages I didn't add the news stuff. So, yes, I
> also think it could be a good idea to have the latest news in the front
> page, and also maybe a page with ALL the news.

How could this be done? We could install PHP nuke but maybe we wouldn't
have so much traffic (or maybe we would ;-). Another obvious answer would
be adding them manually but there is a risk of not updating the project
state frequently.

> > - Contribute page: is it up to date? I think it may be a good idea to put
> >   a link aside every item in the list of proposals with a text such as 'I
> >   would like to help on this'. This could be a direct e-mail link to the
> >   person in charge of that part of gnome-db or to the list with a
> >   predefined subject.
> >

> ok, great

Ok, I'll add the links. The list of projects where people can help to date
are:
- Integrate with GNOME Office
- Add Perl (and Pascal, etc) bindings
- Finish LDAP and Interbase providers
- Add more providers: mSQL, Informix, dBase, GNU SQL Server, etc
- Implement an IDE based on Glade
- Write a complete user guide

what's the state of this projects?

> > - Statistics of visits
> >   It could be helpful to know how many people visit us. As we have our
> >   own apache server we could use a log analyzer. I've been using lately
> >   awstats which is good enough. Do you know anyone better?
> >

> they're now online (sorry for not saying it in the list) at
> http://www.gnome-db.org/stats. We're using webalizer for generating them

Looks great.

> > Once this is done we could start making bigger changes, mainly:
> >
> > - Adapt the web to the new gnome web look & feel (comming soon ;-).
>
> I don't mind too much about this, but if you like it, ok, go on

The new look is great. I'll put this in the last position in the list of
things to do, but I think it would be an improvement.

> > - Set things so that adding contents is so easy that a web administrator
> >   is hardly needed. This is very important to update the 'state of the
> >   project' or 'news' sections frequently.
>
> yes, that's why I made the current pages in PHP, having the header and
> the footer of all documents generated in a couple of PHP functions.

That's a very good idea to keep a consistent look through the pages. I'll
try to add those functions to the stats pages too (are they in CVS?).

> yes, you're right, so I agree in everythin you said. Please, go ahead.
> I'll ask for a CVS account for you...

Great. Mail me when the account is made and I'll start working. BTW, does
this mean that you have set it so that the pages update automagically from
CVS?

bye,
	Jorge