Re: [gnome-db]Re: [Glade-devel] how to extend gnome-db support?

Damon Chaplin wrote:

> rodrigo gnome-db org wrote:
> >
> > Daniel Wagner wrote:
>
> > > Right now, I'm not sure how to intergrate gnomedbbrowser: in order
> > > to add a new gnomedbbrowser widget, you will be asked for a
> > > gda-connection (gnome-db-login) and then this will be used somehow.
> > > 'somehow' means I don't know right now.
> > >

> > I'm not sure neither about this. We should find a way to have this automatically
> > specified when designing in Glade. Maybe we could add properties to the widget (in
> > Glade) to specify the GDA data soource to use, username and password. And then, have
> > the GnomeDbBrowser-related code in Glade, open the connection when created.
> >
> > Damon, does this sound good?
>
> I'm afraid I don't really know enough to comment much.
>
> It would be nice if you could just use the GnomeDB widgets without
> connecting
> to the database at all. But I suppose it is handy to connect to the DB
> so you
> can see the fields in each table etc., and possibly some dummy data.

yes, the gnome-db widgets are quite useless without a DB connection :(

> It gets more complicated if you have multiple developers on the project,
> who may be using a central database or may have their own individual
> databases.
> I don't really know the best way to handle all this.

what about the GnomeDbDataControl we talked about? it could be a GtkInvisible-based
widget which you can put in your window, and then have the other GnomeDb widgets
reference that widget?