[gnome-db]Re: TAO or OmniOrb instead of Orbit?

On 13 Feb 2001 14:51:46 -0600, Jeff Graham wrote:
> Howdy from Texas!
>
> I want to integrate a database with my CORBA software, but it looks
> like libgda only works with Orbit. Is that correct?
>
> Anyone try or have you any notion how hard to substitute TAO or OmniOrb
> (or any other 2.3 compliant (POA-based) ORB ?

AFAIK, nobody has tried to run libgda without ORBit. There was a guy some time

ago who successfully made calls to libgda through Java, but always
having ORBit in the machine where the GDA providers were running.

But, as we've separated cleanly the low-level stuff in a wrapper library
(libgda-common), you could just port this part (as well as the
libgda-client and libgda-server CORBA-related parts) to your desired
ORB.

I don't think it's going to be very straightforward, but the base is
there so it's just a matter of you starting the port, and us fixing the
parts that need to be fixed at the time you find them.

Or another solution would be to make talk your ORB with ORBit. It
should, in theory, be easy to make this. Although, this solution would
mean to have both your ORB and ORBit installed.

Another part you should also port, and which is going, I think, to give
you the more headaches, is the OAF-related part.