[gnome-db]XML Queries

Hi All!

I've not been present for quite some time on the list (home works, work on
gASQL and a lot of work at my job mainly), and I would like to take up again.

Below is the summary of the situation as I see it today, and please correct me
if I'm wrong on some things (probably!):

* Gerhard has produced a first working version of the XML query implementation
which contains a new DTD (not finished yet), and a C library to convert XML
queries to SQL. He is also now working on using XSLT rather than pure C to do
the job.
* I have to check his work in the CVS (module libgda/lib/gda-common/xml-query)
with some modifications in the makefiles (ASAP)
* Pau has an awk parser to have the reverse path (from SQL to create XML) that
is based on the old xml-query.dtd in CVS

As for the servers usage of the XML queries, I have a different view from a
simple gda_command_execute(cmd, gda_xml_query_to_sql(xml));
I think it should be up to the GDA server to recognize that it has XML as an
entry (and not SQL or whatever), and convert XML to its own SQL like language
before processing it (using the xml-query lib).
So the command should remain gda_command_execute(cmd, xml);

One other thing I would like to see is a new call in the IDL to get from any
GDA server either SQL (or like) from XML or XML from SQL (or like) with help
from Pau's parser.

Tell me what you think of all this.

Cheers,