[gnome-db]GNOME 2.0 porting - status

Hi!

[Reinhard, CC'ing to you just in case you're interested]

I'm little by little advancing in the porting to GNOME 2.0, so I hope to
have in the next weeks a development release of libgda for GLib 2.0.
GNOME-DB is another story (see below).

* libgda-common is now fully ported to GLib 2.0 (at compile time, of
course). Testing is needed, so I would appreciate if people could test
it. To do so, first you'll need a GNOME 2.0 [1] compile environment,
which is easily done by getting the vicious-build-scripts module from
CVS (just read the README to see how it works), compiling all necessary
libraries (glib, ORBit2, bonobo-activation, libbonobo, libxml2, but you
can easily perform this, after installing the vicious-build-scripts,
running:

rebuild.sh
modmake.sh libgda

it will just compile a few things in libgda and stop with errors, but
well, that's not a problem, since the part to be tested does compile. To
do it:

cd libgda/lib/gda-common
make
cd libgda/testing
make gda-xmldb-test

this only makes the libgda-common and gda-xmldb-test program, which is
used to test the GdaXmlDatabase stuff, which is what I'd like you to
test (for the moment, more test programs will come)

* gnome-db: ok, for this, I'm taking advantage of the porting to
introduce all the stuff we talked about the gASQL/gnome-db integration.
That is, I've first created a new CVS module, libgnomedb, which contains
all the DB-bound widgets, and nothing else. Then, I'm refactoring
gnome-db itself to remove all things that are somewhat already available
in gASQL. This will mean just having a SQL and configuration manager
components; the basic functionality would be the one in gASQL (that is,
the one that users will find when opening gnomedb-fe).
So, what I'm preparing with all this is the integration of the gASQL
source code into gnome-db CVS module, as we talked. My idea is to add
the gASQL stuff either to the gnome-db-fe itself (I mean to its source
code, which will be the easiest way, since it won't involve many changes
in gASQL), or as a component (GNOME::Database::UIShellComponent), as we
also talked.
Then, there would be some of the current GNOME-DB-fe functionality
available as components (SQL, Config manager, export, import, etc), and
nothing else.

so, comments, suggestions, pathes? :-)

cheers

[1] don't be afraid to do so, since all installation is made in a
different prefix that your current GNOME, so nothing affects your
current setup