Re: [gnome-db]personal databases with gnome-db

On 14 Apr 2001 17:38:20 +0200, Holger Thon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 04:41:33PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > On 12 Apr 2001 12:36:23 +0200, Holger Thon wrote:
> > > On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 08:53:43PM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> >
> > well, the problem with Berkeley DB is that it only allows key->value
> > pairs to be stored, which makes it a bit difficult for a novice user to
> > have to distribute its data into several files. What about gdbm, does it
> > work the same way?
>
> Well, this is an argument against it. I don't know, how gdbm works, though. :-/

Just checked it, and, from what I can see in the header file, gdbm just
allows key->value pairs,
as Berkeley DB :-(

> > I've been looking at the sqlite (http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/)
> > proposed by Adam, and it looks like another good candidate. It even
> > supports SQL, so it's got lot of the work made for us. It seems like a
> > perfect choice also for advanced users, since it support smost of the
> > DBMS stuff, and allows, for example, to play with a local database
> > before actually using the BIG database on the server.
>
> Yes, this sounds great. One problem is however, that sqlite seems not to be
> in any distribution. So either we'd need to package sqlite ourselves or
> use something what is on any linux system with gnome (like berkely db, gdbm,
> xml).

well, we could, if we find it useful for us, do what has been done for
evolution with the libical library.
That is, we could import regularly a copy of libsqlite until it is
distributed.

I'm going to check now the licensing issues, etc.

> > > Predefined relations (e.g. addressbook table, video/cd collection table,
> > > disk catalogue) would also be something that helps simple users use gnome-db
> > > (and if it's just a hardcoded create table statement, first :-).
> >
> > yes, we could perfectly use XML queries for that, and distribute the XML
> > files as part of GNOME-DB.
> >
> > > A simplified DB-Designer Component (table designer being able to add/remove
> > > columns and finally proceed generation of the table) would also be valuable
> > > for them (as they would not want to design using er-models, would they ;-).
> > >
> > > Perhaps, the predefined relations could be included into this component later
> > > or imported and modified by the users needs.
> > >
> > yes, sounds like a good idea to have all this for novice users. So, let's vote for
> >
> > the standard GDA backend (please fill in :-)
> >
> > sqlite (rodrigo)
> > Berkeley DB ()
> > XML ()
> > GDBM ()
> > csv ()
> if gdbm needs key->value pairs
>       vote for xml
> else
>       vote for gdbm
> fi

ok, so:

XML (holger)
sqlite (rodrigo)

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/