Re: Logger for libgda

On 27 Nov 2000, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> well, it's not a bad idea, but I see some problems:
>
> * the entries you're showing are (as I understand it) saving the old
> values for the affected rows. So, again, how do you know which rows
> are going to be affected? you save all the table(s) contents? you
> parse the SQL command? or is the client (which should know what rows,
> that save action?
>
> * with either solution to the above problem, I see some issues about
> speed and performance related to the way of knowing which rows are
> affected, and how to save all the data going to be modified. Of
> course, for some applications this might not be an issue at all.

This will be a trivial issue with XML queries, but with SQL...

We think about parsing the SQL query... Perhaps it is slow, but it can
works for applications with no intensive database access...

Until now, what we do in ASPL Fact is calling different functions,
depending on what kind of SQL query we want to launch. So we have
functions to make SELECTs, INSERTs, COMMITs, ROLLBACKs...
It also works... Although it's pretty less smart!! Perhaps it is faster
than parsing... so a combined way could be good.

> as soon as we find a solution for this, I think we can go ahead and
> implement it in GDA. What other people think?
>
> cheers

Greetings.

--
David Marín Carreño <davefx bigfoot com>   mmmm
(aka DaveFX)   ICQ UIN: 34866516            ""MM    Mm